What does failure mean in Habitify?

I’m not sure if the app intro has explained this, but I can’t find any info on it right now.

“Skip” means that I have an excuse not to do my task, and it won’t break my chain.

But what is the difference between not doing a task, and failing? Should I go back and mark all my un-checked habits for each day as “fail”?

(By the way, the default category for posts here is “Uncateforized”, should probably be “Uncategorized”?)

9 Likes
I just wrote a app review/ feedback , would you agree?

I have the same question. How does “fail” differ from simply not checking it off?
(of course, this could be interpreted in many ways, depending on the user. I am interested in the designers’ intent.)

4 Likes

Bump. I also have the same question. What was the developers/designers intention? It’s not clear.

2 Likes

I’m also curious about this. It seems redundant. I suppose some users would want to mark a task as “failed” if they know they won’t complete it and they just to get it off their daily checklist, but then shouldn’t uncompleted tasks from previous days automatically be marked as “failed” (as I’ve seen in other habit-tracking apps)? Is there any functional difference on the calendar between a greyed-out circle and no circle?

2 Likes

Very good question, i‘m wondering about this too. :thinking:

3 Likes

Hey @amon, @Viktor_withaK, @RVL, @dhewins, @jlnr, thanks for the question. Let me explain that a little bit here:

• Technically, there is no difference between not doing a task and failing. It all means you haven’t done that habit the previous day.
  • However, we still implement “Fail” as a feature because:
  1. Many users in their feedback email and interview want to have a noticeable sign of failure in their calendar. That would (psychologically) make them more accountable. This is our main intention. Also, intentionally mark a habit as “failed” will give us a more sense of responsibility the next time we have to do it.
  2. UX-wise, many people would fail too frequently which leaves their calendar full of dark dots. Demotivating it will be.
  3. Relating to point 2, some habits are done not on a regular basis, let’s say, 3 days a week. We cannot specify which day the habit must be done, and leaving it as “failed” is not entirely correct. So we have to differentiate between the two.

Hope that clears it up :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like