The American Society of Training and Development (ASTD) did a study on accountability and found the following:
The probability of completing a goal if:
- You have an idea or a goal: 10%
- You consciously decide you will do it: 25%
- You decide when you will do it: 40%
- You plan how you will do it: 50%
- You commit to someone you will do it: 65%
- You have a specific accountability appointment with a person you’ve committed to: 95%
This is straight from the landing page of https://www.strive2goal.com/ but read about this here first:
With yet another app that is implementing accountability with habits mentioned in the article.
There is a bit of research on it, this one looking at how one partner’s habits has a big influence on the other’s.
I wanted to start intermittent fasting to kick-start this as a habit for my dad.
To put my money where my mouth is and rather then fill his head with all the theory behind it - I figured a better way is to take the initiative and join him. That’s how I ended up wanting this feature.