How to stop procrastinating?

My answer would be the Pomodoro Technique with my personal twist.

Pomodoro is a time management method, basically, you will still do everything on your own but you will break down the time scale into many small sections with breaks in between.

It has long been well-known and proved to be effective in boosting productivity by many people worldwide.

6 typical steps for a Pomodoro cycle according to Wikipedia:

1. Decide on the task to be done.
  2. Set the Pomodoro timer (traditionally to 25 minutes).
  3. Work on the task.
  4. End work when the timer rings and put a checkmark on a piece of paper.
  5. If you have fewer than four checkmarks, take a short break (3–5 minutes), then go to step 2.
  6. After four Pomodoros, take a longer break (15–30 minutes), reset your checkmark count to zero, then go to step 1.

Actually, I consider myself to still be a Pomodoro learner, not an expert. But I soon discover that prefer to add one more step to the cycle.

Let’s call it step 4.5: recheck (optional)

I want to make sure the last 25 mins have been spent on point as I consider keeping on doing the wrong thing to be worse than procrastinate but then do the right thing.

The recheck often takes about 2 minutes or more, depending on the task I’ve completed in that 25 mins.

This twist has actually helped me a lot. My job includes a lot of writing and if there’s no double check, I would go off topic without noticing. And it will surely drive me nuts having to delete every single word and rewrite from scratch.

How about you? Do you have any tips to overcome procrastination?

We would really love to hear from you !!! :sunglasses:

Great !!! I will try this out to see if it works for me

I like this twist too haha

Then please let us know the result

Then please let us know the result

For me, I learned a technique called Jam sessions.

Basically, you give yourself a really big task, and you give yourself 1.5 hours to focus on it really intensely and hard. You’ll find that your probably done with it in 30-45 min, which gives you another hour-45 min to go over it and make it better. It’s really worked out well for me, but I also want to try your pomodoro technique as well.

Hey Ben!

First time I heard about Jam sessions. This technique sounds quite the opposite of Pomodoro right? I mean, some people are overwhelmed by the idea of a big task ahead, it makes them unable to even start. How do you over come this?

That’s a great question. The jams are more about removing distractions and giving yourself enough time to really make an impact on something you’re working on.

For example, I might have a goal of creating a social media plan for the next 90 days. In a jam, I would remove distractions, and then get to work. Even though it’s a really big task, I still break it down and ask myself what do I need? Do I have knowledge that’s lacking? Where would be the best place to start?

I think Jams complement Pomodoro. You can’t do them at the same time, but you can certainly use Pomodoro to prepare for a Jam, or to wrap up after a jam has happened. Jams are all about making sure no one disturbs you, and you are removing all distractions from your task so you can finish it.

That’s an interesting idea. How have Jam technique helped you in dealing with tasks? Could you share us a little bit?