HIIT after a weight-lifting session. Yes or no?

Hi everyone,

I was suggested to adopt 10-min of HIIT after every weight-lifting session to burn extra fat (my goal is to burn my fat as much as possible). My question is, is it more effective this way than a separate session that I only do HIIT for 45 mins?

I actually have tried to do it, but to be honest it’s very tiring after around 50-60 mins of hypertrophy weight-lifting…

@Grekk55 @Saad_Ghadir

Be careful with long training sessions. Training for too long is counterproductive. The reason for this is cortisol release. Physical exercise is a stress to the body. Keeping it short results in body adaptation and therefore it is considered good stress. Similar good stress is: Cold showers or baths, Sauna, Wim Hoff Breathing, etc.

Long exercise sessions (>45mins) result in huge amounts of cortisol to be released. The bad thing about cortisol are its negative effects when exposed to it over longer periods of time. These effects include:

1. Damage to the cardiovascular system
  2. Weight gain
  3. Muscle loss
  4. Cell damage
    and many more

The law of “less is more” applies here as well.

You should not be doing 45 minutes of HIIT either. If you are able to do that then you are not doing HIIT properly. Go for 15 minutes max but really give it all you have.
Example: Do 8 cycles of A) 20 seconds max sprint and B) 10 seconds of rest (slow walking).

I am personally following Dr. Doug McGuff’s 12 min superslow weight lifting program (see Book: Body by Science). I have a 12 min training sessions (20 mins with prep and cooldown) once every 7-10 days. I alternate between yoga and jogging on the other days. I try to move as much as possible by scheduling 5 minutes walking breaks 2-3 times per day.

If you want to know more, just ask. I have been delving into this area for some time and I’d be happy to share what I know. As Robert Kiyosaki said: “If you want more of something, give first. If you want to learn more, then teach”.

1 Like

Thank you so much @Grekk55, that’s very kind of you to share your experience. I love it every time you reply because I will learn something new from you.

I have never actually considered the effects of Cortisol, maybe after today I will have to replan my program… What do you think is better? A 15 mins of HIIT or 45 mins of normal cardio?

At the moment I’m applying Intermitten Fasting with Hypertrophy weight lifting. I saw significant weight loss (in a healthy way). I lost 5kg in the last 2 months and I feel good actually. I plan to do it till the end of this month and switch to Muscle building weight lifting. Do you think I should do HIIT when I build muscle (people say HIIT can reduce muscle mass)

1 Like

Glad to be of service :smiley:
Dr. Doug McGuff (Author of Body by Science) recommends short bursts of intensity over long periods of low to medium intensity. That is what I am following, so I’d go for 15 min of HIIT.

I am happy to hear you are in a good shape. There is nothing quite like having a bountiful source of energy within one selves. McGuff also argues that keeping your workout short but intense (optimally until muscle failure) avoids muscle loss.

Regarding weight gain, I have been seeing mediocre results. I have always been very skinny, I have noticed that my workouts have made my arm and chest musculature somewhat larger but I have definitely gained in strength and endurance.
In theory, at least as far as most of the literature indicates, muscle gain results from a healthy diet that is slightly richer in protein (more than 30g of protein has diminishing effects, i.e. don’t use whey protein powders or so). Consume about 50-100 calories more than you need. I do not count calories myself as I consider the shape of my body to be very healthy and attractive. I recommend focusing on your health and energy, rather than the looks. That does not mean you can’t have both, but being bulky is not normal. The more muscle we have the higher our base metabolic rate, which means you need to consume large amounts of food to sustain large muscles.

I wish you the best in your endeavors! There is a quote from a Socrates which I really enjoy and which gave me strength when I wanted to give up:
“No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”

1 Like